Monday, November 23, 2015

Reflection: Hewitt’s teaching (video)


I like how Hewitt moved around the classroom, not just stayed at the black board. He shows a visual and physical demonstration of a number line, and it was easy for students to follow and participate. Moving around the classroom also helps students pay attention and stay focused. I find Hewitt uses more verbal scaffolding, and not writing everything on the board. I think this may be difficult to do in B.C because we have a very diversity population and many students are ELL. I find writing things down and drawing diagram help ELL student understand better. Hewitt also uses a lot of repetition, which I think is very important in helping any students to understand. He also pauses and allows a lot of wait time for students to think and answer. I find giving long wait time very hard for me as a beginning teacher and I hope to improve on wait time and time management in the classroom. It is also surprising to me how well the whole class participated. I also hope to engage the students and have everyone participate in the lesson like Hewitt.

No comments:

Post a Comment